(Incomplete) List of web app accessibility folks
- There's Ryan Florence Reach UI project - its aim is to become the accessible foundation of your React-based design system.
- Tenon UI follows the same goal and is created by Almero Steyn and Job van Achterberg
- Kitty Giraudel is currently working on the N26 online banking web app (read my interview with Kitty here) and writing about it: on their blog, on twitter and at conferences.
- The Australian Government opensourced their design system (MIT Licence) and supplies HTML samples, extensive accessibility meta data (Color impairment simulation, Keyboard tabbing simulation, typical mobile and desktop screen reader output...) - and last but not least ready-made accessible React components (direct link to their GitHub repo.)
- Scott Vinkle has created an inclusive React Demo App (Source code and wrote the article "Creating accessible React Apps"
- Starting January 17th, 2019 you can add Marcy Sutton to the React side of things. In her past she helped the Angular project's accessibility
- Vuetify is based on Google's Material Design System which supplies a solid accessible foundation for Vue components
- Alan Ktquez, Callum McRae, Victoria Bergquist and others have started the vue-a11y project and, until the time of writing, released vue-axe, vue announcer and vue skipto.
- Maria Lamardo teaches a course about accessibility on VueSchool.io
- Oscar Braunert gives great talks and starts great projects regarding accessibility in Vue (on of them is tournant UI)
- Austin Gil built vuetensils, a helper component library with accessibility in mind.
- VueVixens offer a half day workshop called "Build an Accessible Memory Game". Anyone interested could read all of its structure and contents, and find all necessary code on a dedicated page.
(I must confess, I have no overview of the angular a11y world, so I can only present the one Angular finding in my "accessibility" bookmarks)
- Emiliy Mears both writes about inclusive strategies for React and Vue on Medium
- Rob Dodson, who published, among other things the great a11ycasts video series, which has a large overlap with the accessibility of web apps
- Deque has to ressources:
- An ARIA Widget Library, over at the Deque Academy, which is also highly recommended for educational reasons
- Suzanne Aitchison runs upyoura11y (I love a got pun!) where she offers
tutorials and resources for developers seeking to build accessible web experiences. Currently it has a focus on React. I think it is a good complement to the current (involuntary) focus on Vue.js on accessible-app.com!
My aim would be to update this very blog post very frequently in the near and medium-term future. In the near future because I surely forgot people and projects, medium-term because I expect the web app/Single Page App/web component expertise to grow. A development that, given the way we put content and functionality on the web today, is imperative.
- Added designsystem.gov.au / React
- Added Deque's ressources / General
- Added Scott Vinkle & Demo App / React
- Added Lindsey Kopacz / General
- Added Melanie Sumner / EmberJS
- Added Maria Lamardo / Vue
- Added Oscar Braunert / Vue
- Added Austin Gil / Vue
- Added Suzanne Aitchison / General
- Added VueVixens' a11y workshop